Sunday, January 29, 2012

Awkward

A few years back I heard an ad on the radio from the so-called "conservative thinktank" The Heritage Foundation offering a free pocket sized copy of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. I requested a copy and soon received this in the mail:



I don't really know why I wanted it. It's not like I frequently find myself sitting around with nothing much to do wishing that I had a conveniently-sized Constitution that I could read. So, I decided that this guy was next to be given away. I had just decided this as we were walking out the door to attend a ward party, and so I took it along hoping to be able to convince someone at the party to keep it. We shared a table with a couple that I had not met before, and so I decided to try my luck at trying to get the husband to take the booklet. I'll spare the details and make a long story short, but even though he did accept the booklet, it was a pretty awkward exchange that took place. I think that I need to spend some time practicing tact in social settings, although it is funny once in a while to get a true deer-in-the-headlights response from someone as you shamelessly try to foist a worthless item upon them. (Not that I think the words in the booklet are worthless, quite the contrary, just the booklet itself has no value in the digital age)

No comments:

Post a Comment